One technique Sparknow uses when trying to understand how information and knowledge flows in and around an organization is to ask a set of short simple ‘vox pop’ questions. They are short questions, the answers to which are usually very insightful.
While I am in Bogota, Colombia this week speaking at the 5th Knowledge Management & Organizational Learning Summit I am going to be continuing our ongoing enquiry into the evolving role of the ‘knowledge manager’ by asking the delegates to think about these simple questions:
- How do you describe what you do to others?
- Is there an image, an object or a sound that sums up your experience of working in this field?
- What tool or technique do you find you use more than any other?
- What is the biggest issue you have had to face in getting people to support what you are doing?
- What aspect of your work are you most proud of?
- Knowing what you now know what advice would you pass onto someone looking to follow in your footsteps?
I’d like to invite anyone involved in the field of information and knowlege management to join in and post a comment below.
We will collate the answers and make them available in a future posting.